Bad Company: 2

Moderators: Senior Admin, Moderators

Rescue9
Colonel
Colonel
Xfire Username: MadFireman

BC2 Hints, Tips, and Learning

Post by Rescue9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:29 pm

We are going to have a good influx of BC2 players due to some players being able to play together now. A lot of these players are new and need help & tips so they don't get pwned. If someone has some time and would like to put together some documentation on BC2 tactics, this would be great. If not, a hint or two would be just as good.

My hint: Remember which side you're on. This will help you remember what language your team speaks. When you hear the other team shouting in close proximity, remember that their voice is directional. I got someone's tags last night cause his character shouted, I was near, and I ran behind him. Sometimes your other senses play a bigger role than just your eyes.

BL@ZE
Division Head: BF
Division Head: BF
Steam Username: =(† EG)= BL@ZE

Re: BC2 Hints, Tips, and Learning

Post by BL@ZE » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:02 pm

These tips might be very "beginner" but we have to start somewhere. Remember gravity effects everything, except the tracer gun. So there is bullet drop. Especially when shooting long distances like sniping. Also play to your classes strengths. Meaning placing medical kits if your a medic and dropping ammo if your a support class. Study each class to see their strengths and weaknesses and conform your strategy in game to the class. Like I said, this is pretty novice but we need a good foundation to start.
Last edited by BL@ZE on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rescue9
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Rescue9 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:26 pm

BL@ZE wrote:...play to your classes strengths. Meaning placing medical kits if your a medic and dropping ammo if your a support class.
Very good information! Like I was telling someone last night. If you drop med kits all over the map, then everytime someone who is wounded passes by them you get points. Just keep dropping them and you'll keep ranking.

OhPlease

Post by OhPlease » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:38 am

It's a good idea to run your squads as squads. The game is very team play based lone wolf usually end up loosing a lot. Have your medic and assault classes spawn on your snipers and drop ammo as needed, then drop ammo and health together at forward points and you move up. These make great rally points for your entire team and squad. Also remember that when you toss out a new med kit or ammo pack that the old one will disappear. You can watch the little bonus points for healing and ammo resupply to know when it is safe to drop a new kit. Engineers spawn on the vehicles and keep them in repair.

Mash that Q button. It helps to target enemy's for yourself through brush, but also for your teammate who may have a better vantage point to take out the enemy, and you will get assist points too. The q button does not always work so you gotta mash it, and it seems to work more when zoomed in on an enemy no matter what weapon you are using.

Change your FOV right away. A lot of the new games have ridiculous narrow FOV because they are console ports. It is not a game cheat or hack to correct this. However BC2 is based on the Vertical FOV so a lil math is required to get it set correctly. This link has the easiest way to get is set right. I recommend 90 FOV for a 4:3 monitor, a 100 FOV for a 16:10 monitor, and a 105-110 FOV for a 16:9 monitor. Don't go too far, as you will gain in picture FOV you will loose detail and gain in fisheye which in BC will also lead to the colors blending and you not being able to see enemies as they will look much farther off than they actually are, this has a really bad impact on knifing skills in particular.
Sorry forgot the link:
http://rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

Stay off the HC servers until you are ready, or the game will frustrate you to no end.

The web browser in BC2 sucks big time. Add lots of friends and find servers through your friends list instead (not steam friends).

BC2 is a game made in shades of gray, and BC2 Vietnam is a game made in shades of green. Adjusting your monitors contrast and brightness settings correctly can help you see enemy targets much better.
Last edited by OhPlease on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

generalmills
Captain
Captain
Xfire Username: griffinader
Steam Username: sgtmoody306

Post by generalmills » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:38 pm

I like what Blaze said about playing your class like it should be; which is completely true. Also, play to what your squad needs- and play it well. When you need an engie and no one wants too, that's when you shine in your squad because you will be blowing up the tanks. This is a team-based game, after all; not some run-and-gun crap Call of Duty.

Mind your surroundings:
Always keep your eyes open, and know what a recon's ghillee looks like.
Sometimes, what you think is a rock is really someone's head and kills you.
Know what a gun out of a window looks like- you may be able to get a grenade launcher or RPG off on that person, as explosives affect the environment.

That's all I've got for now.
-Mills
"We are not illegitimate children," they protested. "The only Father we have is God himself." - John 8:41b

"I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings." - 1st Corinthians 9:23

Rescue9
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Rescue9 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:40 pm

OhPlease wrote:Stay off the HC servers until you are ready, or the game will frustrate you to no end.
See... I found the opposite to be true. On non-HC I always felt like it took me a whole clip to kill someone, where it only took them 4-5 shots cause they were higher ranked and had better shot groups than me. At least on the HC even if my shot groupings weren't as tight, I was still able to get kills because 2-3 shots on HC = half a dozen on non-HC.

Just my experiences.

OhPlease

Post by OhPlease » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Yeah it's all about play style for HC vs norm. A lot of the new players can't take the server rule sets for HC. They get a bit better once all the weapon and gameplay mechanics become "normal" to them. Everyone is different. For most new players constantly getting killed and not even being able to tell where it came from can be very frustrating. I don't even check the icons for HC or normal anymore, I browse by game type only now. So far I see no real weapon advantages after the first few unlocks, a lot of them boil down to styles and tactics moreso than weapon power or anything (I do not ever play recon/sniper though). Some just have a cool power

MichaelVash7886
Xfire Username: MichaelVash7886
Steam Username: MichaelVash7886

Post by MichaelVash7886 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Going to have to agree with OhPlease on the HC server.

While it's true you can kill people faster, the same goes for them against you. While it does help nullify some of the effects of the unlocks it also doesn't give you a map or clip size. The map can end up being very useful as spotted enemies appear on it and can really help you see how the level is laid out and how best to approach said enemies. Due to this you're also more likely to get spot assists.

For the most part, the early weapons are pretty solid, the 4x scope and mag ammo are what make the difference, and even then it's not a whole lot. I've not had any issue killing people in normal servers.

Pressing Q when targeting an objective will help out as well, if you do any action you get 10 extra points for that action. While this may not seem a big deal consider this, as a mecid or assault.

Resupply/heal = +10
Near a targeted objective it = +20
Squad Resupply/Heal = +20, +30 when near an objective.

On certain maps this can really rake in some points if it's a smaller map and you toss the ammo or health pack near an objective then you can boost your score. I ended up getting over 4000 points (without rewards) by doing this once. Half the team was around A I had it marked and a med kit out. Every heal got an extra 10 points, which means most were worth double what they would of been.

Snipers: I know for me I'm not a big fan of sniping, I like to run with the 4x scope and a semi-auto sniper rifle, if you aren't a fan of the bolt action rifles, consider trying to use the Shotguns you unlock at the early levels (or the Thompson if you have it.) Granted your range won't be very far, but you can use your motion sensor's once they are unlocked to help out defense or attacking an objective. If you are attacking, don't stand back at your base and sit there the entire round. While on occasion it may be worth a try generally this will only server to irritate your teammates as they can't spawn near the objective if they only have you to spawn on. Consider trying to move up a bit and find some cover, obviously on smaller map this can change.

Medics,
always have a medkit deployed somewhere, even if there isn't an immediate use, you can occasionally get some random points from it if you don't place another. Choose a high traffic area. If you need to heal or a teammate does, by all means throw a new one. Be careful about reviving! While it can really help you out in a tight spot, make sure the area is clear because otherwise the enemy probably just ends up getting an extra kill, and if you are attacking in rush, or in conquest or squad DM, then it simply helps your enemy get an extra kill.

There are multiple ways to destroy objectives in rush. If an objective is in a destroyable building it may be easiest to simply destroy that building let the collapse take out the objective, look at how big the building is. Explosions via the tank, chopper, C4 and the rocket launcher can damage objectives, but not very much since the most recent update. If your team puts a constant effort toward hitting the objective with C4, then it can help you out if things start looking bleak. It's going to take a long time, but if you are attacking it and tossing C4 down and detonating before dying it can do some damage. AT mines also work, and stay there after you die.

Assault, as with medics, always consider dropping a ammo box in high traffic areas. The grenade launcher must go a certain distance (I believe it's 10 in game feet) before it will explode on impact, if you are super close to someone you will have to hit them as it won't explode. If you switch to a non-assault rifle then you'll have C4, this can be useful if you want to have an ammo box and a shotgun and C4 as you can keep replenishing it.

If you see an enemy try to hit Q as you start firing, even if you don't kill him then your teammates will be able to see him.

Physics: If you are using sniper rifles, with the default or 12x scope, as stated above bullets will drop. Same with rockets over long distances, I'm pretty sure that tracer darts do in fact drop, but they could not anymore due to updates, will have to check and see. If you are using a 4x scope on the sniper rifle, then most of the time when you can see a person you SHOULD be able to shoot straight. It gets a bit tricky when it comes to determining where bullets will drop when using it.

Choppers: If your team has a chopper, don't use it for your personal transport and hop out. Not only will you irritate your teammates, you could handicap your team in a few ways. If the chopper doesn't blow up the enemy could grab it. If it's out of the battlefield where the enemy can't grab it, but it doesn't explode then it won't respawn for your team. If the enemy has a chopper up try to find AA-guns if the map has them or hit the thing with a tracer dart to help guide rockets. Some maps have tanks with AA guns on top of them, you and a teammate should use them if present. If you can't find an AA gun or have a rocket launcher then sitting in the gunner seat of a tank, or hopping into a stationary AT or Heavy MG can help as well. A well run chopper can dominate a team, so it's best not to let an enemy get on a roll with one.

Engineer: This class can really shift the balance on a map. It's your primary anti-vehicle class and can of course repair your teams vehicles. I cannot stress enough the importance of anti-tank mines on some maps. If any vehicle drives directly over them it's instant death. Putting them, in places that aren't easily seen or unexpected is best. DON"T GROUP YOUR MINES. If you group them and an enemy notices they can take all of them out with a single shot or grenade. Same thing if you see a teammate has rigged one route, don't go and put mines out in front of theirs, it's wasteful and not good teamwork.

If you have the tracer dart (limited edition) use it on occasion, you can get some nice support points and help out your teammates take down vehicles. Engineers can of course you can use your own dart to guide either of the first two rocket launchers. Be wary when using the third launcher, it does not lock on to tracer darts and it also seems to avoid tracer darts even if you do dial it into the target.

A newer strategy that is now a bit safer is when you are defending to plant some C4 on your own objectives. If someone does plant on the objective you can immediately hit the button to clear out some of the enemies. Obviously if your enemies are planting C4 on the objective don't use this strategy as it will only help them do more damage and in the long run could hurt your team.

Points: While in vehicles you do not gain points toward your class upgrades. Gold Stars and 5000 points insignias can really help you gain levels. Be sure to glance at your stats to see where you are getting close. Pistols only require 50 kills for a gold star. Same for combat knife. Ordinary weapons take 100 kills per gold star.

Rapidfire
Division Head: MC
Division Head: MC
Steam Username: Rapidfire882007

Post by Rapidfire » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:39 pm

I find that while being a sniper, calling out enemies, even if you wont get a clean shot can help out your team. Also, part of the sniper job is to provide anti sniper cover, so the rest of the team can move to the objective. as you play, learning where snipers normally sit can play to your advantage. And, from time to time, i find myself on a struggling squad, i move to a 4x assault sniper rifle so i can quickly move from defensive sniper to active sniper if i need to.

I dont know if they have fixed it, but flying an uav strapped with c4 does not damage the uav, and can cause major damage to an objective. coordinating teams can blow a side of a building and effectively take out an objective with c4. Ive even taken out tanks and have survived to make multiple runs.

A helicopter in the right hands can be devastating to the enemy team. Finding a pilot that can effectively move a helicopter can be tough. Being able to dodge bullets, sniper rounds and rockets while standing steady for your teammates. I have also played with one gunner, one pilot and one engineer, to repair in slots 4 and 5. A Pilot can get a lot of assist points, 50 a shot if i remember correctly, while the engineer can get the repair points.